ALC Website Diary
# Set up
Initial setup went fairly soomthly. Art set me up with an account on his geekgene server. He installed and configured wordpress and the MySQL database, I activated the site and we had wordpress!
I configured wordpress to be a network following [the wordpress codex](http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network)
# Installing Commons in a box
After some false starts I came around to installing [Commons in a Box](http://commonsinabox.org).
I got hung up on downloading and installing the plugin because (like always) I was looking for it in the main site dashboard rather than the **network** dashboard!
Install was simple, it also brought along BuddyPress and bbPress (a forum software).
Next I installed the CBOX theme, poked around with it for a minute then decided it would be best to create a child theme *before* I made any changes that might be undone be switching themes down the line.
I was able to download a pre-made [CBOX child theme](https://www.dropbox.com/s/aaet25aktzme0ez/cbox-child.zip)
The theme customization menu is clunky and slow, I don’t like it much, but it works okay…
# Building the Home Page
I’ve created a static front page called home. It is set to the homepage template.
The template is a number of widget areas out-of-the-box, I wanted it to display the page content along with it’s widgets so I moved the homepage-template.php file into my child theme.
To pull in the page content I simply added `infinity_get_template_part( ‘templates/loops/loop’, ‘page’ );` to the homepage-template.php in the proper location. Now the title and content of the home page shows up on the page.
After the initial installation I added some more plugins:
– Display Widget ([download plugin](http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/display-widgets.2.03.zip)): gives more control over which pages plugins appear.
– Nav Menu Roles ([download plugin](http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/nav-menu-roles.1.6.0.zip)): Display menus based on user role
– User Role Editor ([download plugin](http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/user-role-editor.zip)): Edit user roles
– Theme My Login ([download plugin](http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/theme-my-login.6.3.10.zip)): Puts login/forgot pass/register inside the theme template
– YD Network-wide Options ([download plugin](http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/yd-wpmu-sitewide-options.zip)): allows syncing and sharing plugin settings across a network
– unconfirmed ([download plugin](http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/unconfirmed.1.2.5.zip)): lists unconfirmed users
– Join My Multisite ([download plugin](http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/join-my-multisite.1.7.4.zip)): Allow site admins to automatically add existing users to their site, or let users decide at the click a button.